About Us

Saturday, 3 September 2011

Your vinegar may be made from petroleum products

The other day I was interested in finding out how vinegar is made.  Distilled white vinegar, to be precise.  I use it for cleaning, pickling, and cooking.  I usually buy a large, plastic container of it and since I am trying to avoid the use of plastic when food is involved, I wondered if I could make it myself.  I always, ALWAYS thought vinegar was made from food.  Potatoes, apples... I didn't really know but I never guessed that vinegar can and may be made from petroleum products.  Wikipedia proves this:
Vinegar is made from the fermentation of a variety of sources mainly containing carbohydrates and sugars. Ethanol is first produced as a result of fermentation of sugars, ethanol is then oxidized to acetic acid by the acetic acid bacteria (AAB). The ethanol may be derived from many different sources, including wine, cider, beer, or fermented fruit juice, or it may be made synthetically from natural gas and petroleum derivatives.[6]
Blech!  I chose to use vinegar as a cleaning agent because it didn't contain chemicals.  It was "all natural".  I certainly wouldn't choose to cook or pickle with products made from petroleum! 

Now to check our labels.  I just bought a large container of Allen's Vinegar to use for pickling.  Nowhere on the container does it say what its origin was.  I looked up their website and found the same thing.  They advertise how vinegar enhances natural taste of vegetables and so on, but they do not say that they are made from beer, cider, wine, or fruit.  I have emailed them but have yet to receive a response.  *Updated: I did receive a response.  Allen's Vinegar is "made from natural products, not petroleum products".*

  Heinz Vinegar website states the following:
The All Natural National Brand Vinegar
Heinz® Distilled White and Apple Cider Vinegars are guaranteed to only be made from sun ripened corn or apples
Thumbs up for Heinz!

Researching this topic proved to be extremely difficult.  There is very little information about whether or not the vinegar you buy on the shelf is from a natural or synthetic source.  We have proof that it is legal to make and sell synthetic distilled white vinegar for consumption.  Grist quotes the following from the FDA:
Synthetic ethyl alcohol may be used as a food ingredient or in the manufacturing of vinegar or other chemicals for food use, within limitations ... Any labeling reference to synthetic alcohol as "grain alcohol" or "neutral grain spirits" is considered false and misleading.
Buyer beware.  If the company doesn't advertise what the origin is, it might not be from food.  Check your label and your website before you clean your bath tub, pickle your precious, organic vegetables, or use in your home cooking.  I am ditching this plastic jug of petroleum by-products.  Blech!  Who knew?! 

By the way, I am still looking for a good vinegar recipe...

This post has been linked up to Attainable Sustainable's Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #5.

Note: We are talking about distilled white vinegar not apple cider vinegar, red or white wine vinegar etc. 

19 comments:

  1. Just shared this blog post. This was great. I never expected vinegar from petroleum products. I will be checking my vinegar products a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature's Place: Thanks for sharing. I was horrified when I first found out! You think you are cleaning with natural products and your vinegar is made of petroleum products?! Thankfully not all are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I know what you mean. After sharing it I had several of my friends post it as well. So this was good info. I was wondering though what is your take on Distilled White Vinegar and if you had and reports for it. I couldn't find anything and I know that it is commonly used for fermenting foods. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NP: Thanks for asking. I spent a fair bit of time researching this on the web and I found disturbingly little information on this. Wikipedia says it is possible to be made from petroleum products and more research indicates that it is but not always. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar#Distilled_vinegar

    Here is a link to the FDA Section 555.100 which is specific to this topic. http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074550.htm

    Basically, it says that, even though there is some concern about using vinegar sythetically produced from petroleum products, it is still "acceptable".

    Unless you directly ask a vinegar company and they tell you it isn't, I might just assume that it is.

    Another interesting thought came up in a conversation about this: it is possible that petroleum products right now are more expensive than corn so distillers may choose corn over the petroleum products. I don't know the answer to that one.

    I would be concerned about buying products that are pickled without knowing what type of vinegar they were pickled in.

    The other thing to consider is that most likely the corn being used by Heinz or any other company is GMO. And that is a whole different issue.

    Fortunately there are alternatives such as apple cider vinegar and white and red wine vinegar and rice vinegar. There are good recipes that use these for pickling and preserving food. I imagine it would change the taste.

    We also need to make sure that the acetic content of any vinegar we use to preserve food with is at least 5% to make sure the food is safely preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that is downright horrifying. Fortunately, I'm set for vinegar for a good while. A friend of mine waited too long to bottle some apple cider he was making so now has 30 litres of apple cider vinegar to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for that response. My issue as I researched today was the same thing about corn. My daughter has a corn sensitivity and I believe I do too. I eat it or anything with it and I get headaches and bloating so we don't do as many grains as possible for our family.

    It is quite disturbing. I haven't done much with pickling and fermenting myself. I have done kimchi and that is about it but it's rice vinegar that you use not white distilled. I appreciate your quick response back. I have cleaned with vinegar but am considering to move completely to apple cider vinegar instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just shared this! I didn't know. This is shocking and irritating. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post. Just shared it on the Common Sense Homesteading facebook page. just one more example of how things are not always what they seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the post, everyone.

    Laurie, I think you have said it perfectly. Another example of how things are not always what they seem to be.

    Melanie, LOL! You scored that time! I would love some homemade vinegar. I think that's how they "invented" vinegar in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! Thank you so much for sharing this frightening info!

    Please link this up at Green & Natural Mamas Thursday tomorrow. I'm sure others in the community will really appreciate this info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Update:
    Allen's Vinegar did contact me. They said that their product "is made from natural products not petroleum based products". For what it's worth, Allen's must be petroleum-free!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Thought I Knew Mama
    I will do that! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just coming back to say thanks for linking up at Green & Natural Mamas Thursday!

    Good to know about Allen's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gross! I am will be checking my labels! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew vinegar could do anything! Now it can fuel your car!!! (I kid I kid).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joybilee Farm: thanks for sharing. You are absolutely right. Even if your vinegar isn't made from petroleum it is likely made of GMO corn. You don't normally think of your basic ingredients being made of GMO products.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That is crazy! I'll definitely be checking out the brand I using and switching if I find it's not natural. I'm also giving my first go at making vinegar myself. Results are still to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad to view this informative blog. Thanks for the sharing....



    John Wintermute

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't ethanol made from corn? I wouldn't be so quick to stand behind Heinz.

    Informative post nonetheless! It's ridiculous how much is hidden from our view.

    ReplyDelete