About Us

Saturday, 22 October 2011

The Unexpected: healthy lunches = teasing at school. Help!

There are many different things that pop up unexpectedly when you try to live in a sustainable, healthy manner.  Things that you would never expect to be an issue.  But because we are choosing to live a lifestyle that is slightly more alternative than the majority of the people around us, we should have expected this one.  Kids can be cruel.  Kids at school, when trapped in a classroom together, can and will make fun of each other.  I know this, because I have been a teacher for years.  I have also been a child in the school system.  But I don't recall anyone making fun of my lunches. 

My son is eight years old.  He takes his lunch to school in a stainless steel lunch box from ecolunchboxes.  He also has a Foogo thermos that holds and keeps leftovers warm, and a Kleen Kanteen stainless steel water bottle.  (I might add, according to him, he is the only child in his class to have a litterless lunch).  I don't give him processed meat for lunch and since the school has a nut-free policy he doesn't take peanut butter sandwiches.  That limits us a bit so he often takes leftovers.  He has also had hardboiled eggs, homemade bread, homemade muffins and cookies, dried fruit, fresh fruit, vegetables and dip, and so on.  He likes his lunches and I feel good about sending them with him since they are healthy, unprocessed, and in non-disposable containers.


In grade one he told me how another child stole his hard boiled egg and smashed it on the floor.  He also told me that he couldn't bring salmon or egg salad sandwiches anymore because the kids complain about the smell.  In grade 2 he told me he didn't want to take dried bananas anymore because the kids told him they looked gross.  And in grade 3 he told me that when the kids said "Ew what's that?  That looks disgusting." about his homemade chicken pot pie, he just closed his lunchbox and didn't eat at all.  I felt like crying when I heard that.  Then he confided to his dad that "carrot sticks are good and he likes them, but "Sean" gets a wagon wheel in his lunch every day".  And he told me that everyone has juice boxes except him.  He only has water in his water bottle. 

Now I am very capable of standing up for myself.  I am proud of the way we are living and I feel like I am doing the best I can at providing my children with healthy, safe food.  I cringe, though, at the thought of my child suffering teasing or mocking at the hands of his school mates due entirely to my doings, not his.  I can tell myself until I am blue in the face that it's ok to be different, and that in the big picture his health is more important, but I could cry thinking that my home cooking is putting a hardship on my children. 

It isn't that he never gets a treat in his lunch.  He (and his friends) love my homemade cookies, cinnamon buns, muffins and so on.  But I get the feeling that in order for him to fit in at lunch time I would have to fill his lunch with juice boxes, prepackaged snacks, sandwiches with processed meat and store-bought bread, and pre-packaged yogurts.  When I think of doing that I get angry and frustrated.  I don't want to change something I am proud of just so my child fits in. 

I haven't come across a solution, however.  I spoke to the principal the first time it happened but nothing changed and he didn't talk to the class about respecting others' food as I hoped he would.  The teachers are not in the room at the time, and while there are lunch time supervisors, there aren't enough for one in each classroom so the children are on their own much of the lunch break.  I could inform parents of better lunch alternatives (including packaging) but convenience speaks louder than anything in most cases and I am not into taking on the world right now.   (Just my blog readers!!)  I would love to hear your ideas or suggestions.  Just, please don't recommend I home-school my kids!  That is a choice we have already made.

This post has been linked up with The Homestead Barn Hop.

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder why schools don't do more to protect kids. It's absolutely terrible that your son can't eat his lunch in peace. There's nothing wrong with wanting to give your child a healthy lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, that's a tough one... I suppose you are already doing what you can to strenghten your child, right, so that he knows why he eats what he eat and how food effect him (and the other kids)..?

    My kid is still in kindergarten and gets fed there (although I'd love to have more control over her diet, as she eats most of her meals there), and I see this one coming for us as well, when she starts school in a couple of years.

    Maybe you could try "converting" the other kids? Give him something he can share with the others, like some nicely cut vegetables (maybe even "monster tomatoes" or "croc cucumbers" or something really cool like that), and see how they respond. Maybe you can make it look so cool that they'll ask their parents to make them healthy lunches too. It might be worth a try, and certainly it would be a win-win situation if it worked. :)

    Good luck, I'll keep reading in here and hope for an update - as I probably need to prepare myself for that very same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all boils down to the same thing as always.....kids can be really mean. My 13 year old gets harassed because we no longer use plastic bags or "disposable" water bottles just as much as his sister is teased for bringing her lunch in snaploc containers and using a cloth napkin. Until our country has a change in its attitude towards these things we can try to explain til we are blue in the face and people wont hear what we are saying. We just tell our kids that that kind of stuff falls into the please dont care what others think of you category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mommy Is Green: Yes, I have half a mind to charge over there and give everyone a lecture but I know it won't work. I don't agree with lack of supervision at lunch but I can't exactly go over there every lunch hour either :). I know the change must come from the parents first.

    Jeanette: That's what my husband says. Some things you just have to deal with and we are teaching him good eating habits for the future. I am considering offering to run a "litter-free lunch" fundraiser through the PAC. We'll see how that goes. It will still only appeal to the parents who are ready to make a change in their life. I'll let you know how it goes though.

    Tickleme: Amen to that! The attitude is going to first have to chance in the homes before we can expect the kids to change. You can target the kids with healthy food education but unless the parents are also willing to cooperate it won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the kids eat lunch in their classroom so what about talking to his teacher? Maybe he/she could talk to the class about it or better yet arrange something with the other teachers and make it more of a school wide thing about respecting others lunches and why certain choices would be better (like why plastic is harmful to the environment) I hope it gets easier for your son

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get why you don't want to force the issue more. It can be an exhausting process that could leave you feeling even more upset. I hope you and your son can hang in there. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have they never heard of Earth Day....maybe the teacher needs to educate the classroom...and mention that there will be no toleration for making fun of ANYWAY for any reason. This comes down to you making choices for your son...and I think it's about high time teachers smarten up on any areas of bullying...cause this is bullying pure and simple.

    Just my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's sad. I would throw the "bully" card into the ring. Most public schools have a zero tolerence policy for bullying.

    In the mean time, encourage him to be proud of what he is eating and what your are sending him...

    ANd well frankly, I might be tempted to say...
    those parents don't love thier kids as much as you love him cause they are sending them to school with crap lunches! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys are in 10th, 7th & 5th grade. We try and make their lunch interesting, and my boys enjoy the "Ewww, what is that?" comments they get. We sometimes pack seaweed, dried squid and have even put grasshoppers in their lunches. Now, most days are normal foods, but on occasion we do this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I think I will contact the teacher. At least let her know what is going on and offer to help with some lessons on healthy eating.

    Stephanie that is quite funny! I would never have thought of that! You might be onto something...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am having the same issue with my daughter. She is in the 1st grade and has told me that she hates school or doesnt have any friends because of what's in her lunch. I got a call from her teacher today telling me that my daughter has been acting out and being rude to ther children which is not like her at all.

    I am worried that all the bullying has made her a bully :( I am going to have the talk about bucket dipping and how that wont make her happy also going to write the teacher a letter tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are having trouble with that too. I did speak to the teacher about it and another parent said the same thing was happening. The teacher had a very stern talk with the class regarding respecting others' lunches and I haven't had any issues since. Definitely talk to the teacher about it. I am also in the middle of a fundraiser for a litterless lunch program through the school PAC now and we are going to have a competition between classes for the most litterless lunches on Earth Day. Litterless lunches promote home cooking so I am hoping this will be the beginning of the end. I have 2 more yet to enter the school system. Good luck with your daughter! If the teacher doesn't respect your concern then discuss it with the principal.

      Delete